Friday 30 December 2016

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai, India

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Hi,
As it's still the holiday season, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to talk to you about a church. So here is Saint Peter's Church in the suburb of Bandra West in Mumbai.

To be honest when I came to India, I did not expect to see as many churches and very beautiful ones to crown it all ! I was sure expecting to see a lot of temples, gurdwaras and mosques but I never thought I would see so many churches !

Not every states have a lot of churches but we can find a lot especially in Goa (I haven't been to Goa yet), Maharashtra and Kerala. Christianism is actually the third biggest religion in India.

Like France, India is a secular country, but we can say that for every indian no matter in which god(s) they believe, faith and religion are really important and a huge part of their life.

One day, I was taking a stroll in Bandra in Mumbai, I was actually taking pictures of street art on Chapel Road. Then I wanted to go back to the train station by walking and I came upon the massive Church of Saint Peter. I then decided to go inside.

The church is really huge and beautiful inside and outside. It's a Jesuit parish, you can visit the website of the church over here to have more informations about it. I am not really a religious person, but I have to say that I've never been in so many churches than during my time in India

So I just sat a little bit, I think any religious place is a good place to think, so that's what I did. A mass then started so I even stayed during the mass. It's a great experience to participate to a mass in India, I really enjoyed it !

If you have the time, you should also definitely visit Mount Mary Church which is not very far, and which is a very lovely church.

How to go to Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai :
- You can take the Mumbai local train till Bandra's stop, then go to the west side and take a rickshaw (5/10 minutes depending on traffic),
- You can also walk from the station to the church, it's a 20 minutes walk. I really like to walk so that's what I did.
- If you're in the south of Mumbai, you can also take a cab, an ola or an uber.
Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

Saint Peter's Church in Mumbai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting !